This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
All Saints Church
Kościół Wszystkich Świętych
Church of All Saints.
52°14′06″N 21°00′13″E / 52.235000°N 21.003611°E / 52.235000; 21.003611Coordinates: 52°14′06″N 21°00′13″E / 52.235000°N 21.003611°E / 52.235000; 21.003611
All Saints Parish
Interior of the church today
Chapel of Our Lady of Częstochowa
All Saints Church is a Roman Catholic church located at 3/5 Grzybowski Square in Warsaw, the seat of the parish of All Saints in Warsaw.
Church on Grzybowski Square in the 2nd half of the 19th century
The first plans to found a church in the village of Grzybów near Warsaw emerged in the 17th century, under the rule of King Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki. It was only in the 19th century that serious work started with the growth of the local population. In 1856 Countess Gabriella Zabiełło donated her Grzybów estate to the Society of Missionary Priests and also provided financial assistance.
The design was by the architect Enrico Marconi, construction work commenced in 1861. The design was modelled on an existing Renaissance style Abbey of Santa Giustina in Padua. The church was dedicated on October 31 1883, by Archbishop Wincenty Popiel. The church was finally completed in 1892 with the completion of the two bell towers.
During the defensive war in 1939, the roof was slightly damaged. During the occupation, it was one of three Christian churches (two that were operating) in the ghetto (the other two being St. Augustine’s Church and the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary). All Saints Church served Jewish Christians who were detained in the ghetto.
At that time, the parish priest, Fr. Monsignor Marceli Godlewski, known for his antipathy to the Jews before the war, became involved in helping them. At the rectory of the parish, the priest sheltered and helped many escape including: Ludwik Hirszfeld, Louis