This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2014)
This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
19 June 1921
14 November 2007(2007-11-14) (aged 86)
Virgin – L’Église du Christ-Roi, Petit Lancy
Le Repos – Quai Ernest Ensermet, Geneva
Monument to Charles Pictet de Rochemont – Promenade de la Treill, Geneva
Peter Hartmann (born 19 June 1921, Hamburg, Germany; died 14 November 2007, Geneva, Switzerland) was a Swiss sculptor known for his bronze sculptures installed in public spaces in Geneva.
1 Early life
2 Early career
3 Later career
4 Later life and death
5.1 Dietesheim Gallery
5.2 Individual exhibitions
5.3 Collective exhibitions
5.4 Permanent installations
6 In media
7 External links
Hartmann was born in Hamburg in 1921, the son of a Swiss immigrant father and a German-Danish mother. He spent his youth in Cairo, Egypt where his father was posted for work.
Hartmann attended primary school at the International English and International German schools in Cairo. After completing his primary educational studies, he was then sent to Germany to complete his higher education. In 1939 Hartmann obtained his baccalaureat award and had decided to become an artist. Bowing to pressure from his father, he agreed instead to study architecture in Berlin. Hartmann’s architecture studies were pre-empted by the outbreak of World War II in Europe, so, finding himself in Geneva at the end of the war, he studied sculpture with Henri Paquet.
In 1946, Hartmann returned to Cairo where he set up his first studio in his parents’ garage. He subsequently moved around Europe, spending time sculpting and studying in Florence, Positano and Paris. He finally settled in Geneva in 1950, where he did the bulk of his work.